March 1, 2007

Now Lets All Imagine That We're In New Mexico. Yeah. Oop ... Keep Your Eyes Closed

That's the line up for Bannaroo this upcoming summer. People I'd go for (in order of appearance):

The Police, Tool, the White Stripes, Wilco, The Flaming Lips, Damien Rice, Gov't Mule, The Decemberists, The Roots, Wolfmother, Regina Spektor, Lewis Black, The Black Keys, Spoon, Dave Attell, Sasha & Digweed, David Cross, Feist, Hot Chip, Aesop Rock, Xavier Rudd, Gogol Bordello, Cold War Kids, Dr. Dog, Brazilian Girls, The Nightwatchmen, Girl Talk, Annuals, Mute Math, Apollo Sunshine, The National, The Little Ones, and Black Angels.

Personally, I'm looking forward to who else is playing, because, so far, if there is a festival to trek across the land to attend, Coachella (this year) beats Bonnaroo ... hands down, straight up, flat out.




Along those lines:

I like Colin Meloy. From his on stage banter (which is well worth it to download) to interviews I've chanced upon, he seems like a really chill fella (and he also reminds me a film studies professor I've had). He also makes some damn good music, despite what pretentious-music-elitists might lead on to. I don't pretend not to, to some degree, be one of those, but I think that everyone is, to some degree. Regardless, my point is that as popular as the Decemberists are, they're still good, and "front man" (or, rather, guy who gets the most press) Colin Meloy is deserving of some credit. Here is one of the most amazing live sets I have by anyone affiliated with our friends The Decemberists:

Band: Colin Meloy
Date: 2006-01-28
Venue: The Birchmere in Alexandria, Va. (Recorded by NPR for All Songs Considered's Live Concert Series)

Radio Intro
Devil's Elbow
Banter
We Both Go Down Together
Engine Driver
Engine Driver (last 20 seconds) [I don't know why this is cut so oddly]
Banter
Gymnast, High Above the Ground
Baby Song
Banter
Shankhill Butchers (First Version recorded) [to my knowledge]
Banter
Tristan and Iseult
Here I Dreamt I was an Architect (ends with a bit of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams")
Shiny
Everything I Try to Do Nothing, Nothing Seems to Turn Out Right
Barbara Allen
Banter
Apology Song
California One
Youth and Beauty Brigade (leads with tease of Pink Floyd's "Fearless")
Encore Break
Banter
Red Right Ankle
Blues Runs the Game (Jackson Frank cover)
Banter
Bandit Queen

1 comment:

JJ said...

can you zip that 4 me?